Friday, April 1, 2016

Tumbledown Manor by Helen Brown

I am going to start off with the things I liked about the novel. It is  a novel that echoes books like Eat, Pray, Love and My life in France...  On after though it strongly tasted of Under the Tuscan Sun(movie). A straightforward novel of family relations, pain transformed to love, rediscovering your true self and moving on after the devastation of a broken marriage.  The style is engaging, but not too heavy. Although some serious topics are touched upon, it does so in an easygoing tone and an overall optimistic veil is spread across the book. It was for me an easy, read-on-the-beach novel that will not necessarily stick to haunt me for years later... Most likely I will forget it soon after writing the review.
Despite the appealing premise and some engaging scenes and characters unfortunately, Tumbledown Manor wasn't much more than an okay read for me. It was a good, but plain book that did not bring extraordinary anything in my life. It is uplifting, it is sunny and makes you smile, but the overall verdict is I have read so many books EXACTLY the same as this one. 
Maybe there are women out there, or men for that matter, who like re-reading the same story with different characters and backgrounds, but I am not one of them.  I recieved this book as a review copy from NetGalley.
2FOXGIVEN
I give The Tumbledown Manor 2 fox, because it was the fruit of a lot of effort and thought. It was well established and enjoyable, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment