Monday, June 27, 2016

Now and Again by Charlotte Rogan

30002779
DESCRIPTION:
For Maggie Rayburn, wife, mother and secretary at a munitions plant, life is pleasant, predictable and secure. When she finds proof of a high-level cover-up on her boss's desk, she impulsively takes it, turning her world upside down. Propelled by a desire to do good - and a new-found taste for excitement - Maggie starts to see injustice everywhere. Soon, her bottom drawer is filled with 'evidence', her town has turned against her, and she must decide how far she will go for the truth.
Meanwhile, in Iraq, Captain Penn Sinclair's hasty orders have disastrous results. In an attempt at atonement, he reunites with three survivors to expose the truth about the war. Now and Again examines the interconnectedness of lives, the limits of knowledge and the consequences of doing the right thing.
REVIEW:
Thank you to Charlotte Rogan, Little, Brown Book Group and Netgalley for the copy in return for a fair and honest review.
I have been postponing the reading of this one for a while. I was doing the delayed gratification thing, because I had such a good feeling about it. And I was devastated when I found out I was wrong.
I initially found it very difficult to get into this book. The premise makes for a good story, however, it took a while to really gain my interest. I just didn’t relate enough to the characters to care that much. It also seemed a little disjointed for me, the characters (mainly Maggie) didn’t seem to really get their teeth into the issues they had come across and then the original focus of Maggie’s attention shifted to something totally different which disappointed me. The premise seemed very interesting, and I had high hopes, but the narrative style with multiple characters I found difficult to follow.
It is true I put a hold on the book as soon as I figured out that Charlotte Rogan had another book coming out. It's not like I was a major fan of The Lifeboat. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. But she was an author I wanted to watch for.
Basically, there's way too much information, and not enough plot. What little is there doesn't bring us closer to any of the characters, they remain obscure. Maggie is the only one of them who has any definition, but she makes so many decisions that I couldn't comprehend, that even she comes across as opaque.2FOXGIVEN

No comments:

Post a Comment