Friday, March 11, 2016

My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem


There were numerous reasons and thoughts that went through my head on starting to read this book, but even if my life depended on it I wouldn't be able to remember them. 
If it wasn't for Emma Watson's Book Club and my devotion to HP I would still be ignorant for who Gloria Steinem is and that, my friends, would have been the biggest mistake in my life. I had my reservations for the book as whole, for I was advised that it is a feminist read... and my thoughts on feminism I would rather keep for myself for now. Don't get me wrong, I am a feminist, but most literature marked with this label is doomed to be ridiculed for its lack of scope or posh language. Now, My Life on the Road is a completely different story to tell.
Here is the time to say thank you to my dad for teaching me that curiosity gives birth to brilliance. If it wasn't for you dad I wouldn't have learned some much from life. Anyhow I jumped without a safety net into this ocean of a book. It was the first blind date I have been on and it was a wonderful one - a fulfilling new point of view on life grew boldly out of it.
For the most part I was smitten and slightly jealous of Miss Steinem's life on the road  and all the "worlds on wheels" she encountered and welcomed into her story. The narration was warm and inviting - as if an old friend was telling me stories of their travels. So far it is one of the best memoirs I have read, because it is written from the most amazing point of view you can image. I have this theory of life, you see... for me life is a consequence of clashes between people that cause various outcomes and lead to changes in one's character. My Life on the Road is exactly that. It is "full of great anecdotes, thoughtful ideas on activism and engagement, and quotable bits and pieces". Gloria Steinem describes conversations with taxi drivers, flight attendants, college students at elite colleges and college students at low income state schools,truck drivers, waitresses and many others. There's also a chapter dealing with her time on the road campaigning for different political candidates -- including a great segment of the Clinton/Obama face off.
Steinem flawlessly stitched together stories and dialogue from her memories with a wise, knowing present voice, cluing readers into what she now knows that she did not then. I was specifically drawn to her memory of helping to organize the National Women's Political Caucus in 1971 and serving as a touch point between groups of women of different races, wanting to combine their ideas to create equality.
I definitely recommend this book the all of my friends and family and to all of you who read my blog as well. It is a breath of fresh air filled with positivity and overall optimism.
If you liked this review subscribe to my blog and like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment